Located at the southwest corner of Washington and Franklin, this home is better remembered as the Watson Hotel. It was built in 1885 by Captain Theodore Steyer, a native of Prussia.
Captain Steyer came to the United States in 1850 as a farmer and merchant. He served as the first county superintendent of schools for Pope County for nine years. He also bought and operated a flour mill until 1891 when he became the proprieter of a wharfboat.
The exterior has been restored by current owner.