History of Pope County and Golconda Illinois
The ferry, located at the mouth of the creek that now bears his name, Major Lusk's ferry attracted people of all ages and backgrounds as they pushed westward looking for a better future.
Major Lusk became ill while building a road that would connect his ferry to the Mississippi River. After his death, his wife, Sarah Lusk received a ferry license from then governor of the Indiana Territory and future United States President, William Henry Harrison. Sarah was the first woman to ever receive such a license and has become the beacon of heart of the pioneer spirit.
Sarah sold the ferry once she remarried Thomas Ferguson, however, thanks to her ferry business the city had began to grow. Forest were cleared to make way for farmlands. The river trade was in full swing and Golconda was quickly becoming a booming river town.
The city was first named Sarahville, and later changed to Golconda. The town began as a ferry crossing but soon became the county seat for the newly formed county of Pope.
Golconda soon became a major export port for minerals, lumber, and farm produce that fed the growing southern states that traded along the Mississippi and Ohio rivers.
Not only did trade ships stop often in Golconda, but also showboats filled with floating stores would dock at the rivers edge, often filled with traveling salesmen.
After the end of river trade, Golconda quietly settled between the large hills, flanked with the Shawnee National Forest to become a serene jewel sitting on the edge of the majestic Ohio.
Golconda and Pope County welcomes travelers from all across the globe who enjoy the serenity of a small close-knit community abounding with natural beauty and a laid back lifestyle.
Named for Nathaniel Pope, first Territorial Secretary of State (1809–1816).